Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

Almost a week after Anita's post I am finally getting to mine. Anita came to me with this idea and I thought it nothing but brilliant. Like every kid growing up, i have the classic "top five dream jobs list". To this day (in no order) it contains: an assassin (borne status), a professional runner, a photographer for national geographic (who wouldn't want to get paid traveling to the worlds most beautiful places taking pictures), a victoria's secret angel model (i know this is in every girls list), and of course a chef. Only in the past five or so years has the last one popped into the list. I cant say when the joy to cook came about, but its definitely there. I've spent numerous hours of my childhood, looking over my mom's shoulder asking her 'why she does this, and why she does that', but the answers have sunk deep into my memory.
Now that I am away at school, there is limited time to look over her shoulder in curiosity, but i still call her with my curious questions. Often times my dad answers; I immediately ask to talk to mom. He then reply's with "cooking question? just a second...." He always knows that's exactly what i'm calling about. She enjoys talking about it as much as I do and is now the curious one asking me what i've done recently. One of the best things about cooking is the experimentation that comes along with it. Its always fun to change something and add your own twist to it. And besides this, it is even better when you hear someone say they love what you've made them. Watching someone take that first bite it a little nerve-racking.
Its that time of year for pumpkin; and as my own personal rule, i never eat anything pumpkin until October first. Now that we are well into the month i've been getting my fair share of pumpkin and am loving every moment of it. To finish it off, here is a recipe for some pumpkin cookies which are my favorite. Everytime I get to see my brother around this time of year, these are what he requests without fail. Enjoy!

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup light brown suar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt and ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg and ground cloves
2 cups MILK chocolate chips

Preheat over to 350F. Beat butter until smooth and then beat in both sugars until mix is light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time and mix in vanilla and pumpkin. In a seperate boel mix flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and nutmeg. Slowly beat flour mixture into the batter. Fold on chocolate chips. Cook for 15-20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment